Sunday, September 19, 2010

my best friend

"Value that is found in friendships is often the result of a friend demonstrating the following on a consistent basis:

The tendency to desire what is best for the other
Sympathy and empathy
Honesty
Mutual understanding and compassion
Trust in one another
Positive reciprocity - a relationship is based on equal give and take between the two parties "
 


my best friend

Regardless of how much you love one another, regardless of what a "good" person your friend is, in spite of the fact that he fulfilled all of the qualities of a true friend as  mentioned above...there are things... little things that sometimes become so repetitive.... so routine....so "expected"...that they can create  a little bit of annoyance. I know Bob exhibited some of these but for the life of me I'm able to recall only one...his obsession over politics and his habit of adamantly expressing his view of same...
Now, that's a small thing in the grand scheme of life...this is not what I remember,,,,think about daily...moment by moment.  What occupies my mind and fills my heart with gratitude are not only the "big" things but the many "small" acts of kindness and demonstrations of love that he showered on me...and our children...those are the things that stay in the forefront of my mind...that come and go throughout the day...every day...
If you lose a best friend, the good things are what you will remember...so when you become annoyed over small things....think of what makes them your best friend...treasure all that you share together and be grateful. 

I love you, my darling, and miss you so very much.

1 comment:

  1. What a joy and privilege it was to spend time with you and your best friend. How blessed you are that your best friend is your husband. Many of us grow to choose our family in the people we find who walk beside us through thick and thin,absence or presence. Many of us have men who never take that next step to figure what a women needs to be cherished completely.Just saying....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments..I enjoy receiving them..