Wednesday, June 30, 2010

lost letters

The next letter I have from him is dated June 28th..and he was already at Sonthofen , Germany...sooo...I must have lost some letters as I recall him talking about the trip across the Atlantic.  He has written an autobiography so I will share some of what he has to say about the trip from that source.

"We were in N.J. about two weeks  before embarking for Germany on the General Patch, a freighter that had been converted to a troop transport.  The most lonely point in my entire life was the day we sailed from New York and, about dusk, I was standing on the deck watching the U.S. fade from view.





     The thought occurred to me that for the next 18 months I was going to be several thousand miles away from home and, as far as I could tell, there wasn't anyone in the vicinity that really cared whether I lived or died.  I'm sure I must have cried that night from the loneliness.  Fortunately, they kept us busy with different tasks for the entire trip.  I worked in the  bakery and became popular because I would bring loaves of hot, buttered bread back to our compartment and share with the other boots.  I particularly recollect that Alex ate his share of the bread.
   The trip over lasted about a week and we landed at Bremerhaven.  From there we were transported by train to Sonthofen where we would be sorted out as to MOS and sent to our different assignments.  In Sonthofen we were at  a Hitler Youth Camp constructed during his dictatorship.  It was high in the mountains and a picturesque as a postcard.  It was built like a castle, out of stone and with high walls,  I recall that the huge dining hall had windows that reached from the floor to the ceiling, about 50 feet..  Looking out on the mountains was magnificent and appetite inspiring, as if I needed anything to improve my appetite.   At that time I was not a drinker, and it is good that I wasn't.  German beer was 12 to 18 percent alcohol.  Twice to three times as strong as American beer.  It affected some of the G.I.'s to the effect that one thought he could fly from the second floor, without wings, and he wound up dead. 
  Eventually we were sent to our individual assignments.."



A U.S. Constabulary School was, or is, located there...picture below...don't know if this is the same place where Bob was or not....I'm trying to obtain additional information regarding that.
 I found a website ffering some information about Sonthofen...http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont1.htm

.

1 comment:

  1. Just stopped in and loved reading this amazing letter. I was especially touched by this line: The most lonely point in my entire life was the day we sailed from New York and, about dusk, I was standing on the deck watching the U.S. fade from view.
    True American hero.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments..I enjoy receiving them..